Sunday, September 20, 2009

Neville's Foot

A couple months ago I was carrying some clothes and dropped them on the floor. All of the sudden, I hear painful cries coming from Neville. He stopped, cried, and limped around like he was in so much pain. The next morning, he was fine.

About a month later, I dropped some sheets on the floor. Same thing happened again. He was totally fine the next morning, but that night, you would have thought he broke his foot.

Since then, every now and then he develops a limp. Once he tried to jump in the window when it wasn't open, and then limped around for a little bit before going over and playing again.

Thursday night we found the ironing board on the floor in the basement, and a limping cat. He looked to be in pretty bad shape. I asked him if he wanted a "treat", and magically his foot was cured and he walked just fine. After the treat, he limped for awhile again before playing with his toys really hard for a good 10 minutes.

Tonight again, he started limping again. Yet if I mention the prospect of food, he is suddenly just fine again. If I throw his toy, he can run with no problem to go get it.

So I'm totally perplexed by this behavior. Is this a real or phantom pain? When he was young, did someone make a loud noise and he somehow hurt his foot, so now when something startles him he thinks his foot hurts? He was declawed, so his foot might actually hurt him. He usually sits and licks it obsessively when he's limping. Part of me thinks I should take him to the vet, but I think if something was really wrong with him he would be limping in all situations.


In the meantime, a fire truck just went by. This is a big deal in a town of 1000. I went outside and found all of the neighbors also standing outside trying to find out where the fire truck went. Everyone was yelling across porches. I found it quite humorous.

I also decided I am going to finish the paper. Yea!

Till next time.

No comments: