Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Low Acid Diet: Day 1


As anyone who reads this knows, I really like to eat. You also probably know that my choices of what I like to eat are many times not the healthy choice. I eat fast, I eat a lot, and I eat mostly junk. My diet can be somewhat compared to the Gilmore's diet. I was blessed with the Honchar High Metabolism, so I don't easily gain weight. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

In the meantime, most of you also know I developed acid reflux when I was in high school. No shock there, when you look at my eating habits. I take medicine to keep it under control, but lately it hasn't really been under control. I had an endoscopy done, and the doc didn't find anything too concerning, which is good news. Regardless, I still get reflux at least 3 times per week even with treatment. The doctor gave me a diet to follow, but I sort of ignored it.

Basically the low-acid diet means avoiding tomato-based products, caffeine, carbonated beverages, anything with citric acid, alcohol, and ....chocolate. Also, you are supposed to eat several smaller meals per day, and not eat within 3 hours of bedtime. I already don't drink pop, alcohol, or caffeine, so that's not a problem. I'm most concerned about the chocolate part. A few months ago I announced to everyone in my office I was giving up chocolate. I made it ONE day.

Yesterday I finally decided I was going to take on the low-acid diet challenge. Today I ate a yogurt for breakfast (this was the first time I've eaten breakfast in a long time), rice and vegetables for lunch, and pasta, bread, and an apple for dinner. I know its not quite the daily servings for fruits and vegetables, but its certainly better. Alas, no reflux tonight! So I would call Day 1 a success.

Why did I blog about this? Because I thought if I announced to the world I was going to try the low-acid diet for 2 week, I might actually see it through. I've tried this before, and only made it about a week before just giving in.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I've just read this, and I intend to follow up with you every once in a while. Does that add any pressure?

rachel♥jo said...

Feeling any better from the diet change? I've been thinking about going "low-gluten" after the wedding... there's no way I can pass up on all of that good food and wedding cake!